I have just started my second internship not long ago (first internship was during my polytechnic days). It is indeed nerve-wrecking each time you step into a whole new environment. What’s more ? You start to imagine what’s the worst case scenario that can happen during your internship or how the whole office is going to treat you like a coffee-boy/girl.
Thankfully, I have yet to come across such scenarios or being “ill-treated”. In fact, both my internships have been/is really an enriching learning experience to me. Things that are taught in school are not practiced in the workplace (maybe just some but too much theory-based instead of hands-on), things that are practiced in the workplace are not taught anywhere, you have to observe and learn on your own.
What I have learnt (so far) based on my own experience :
- Don’t be afraid to ask. The worst answer you can get is a “no”.
- Don’t be on-time, be early ! It’s better than getting “Damn! I’m late!”-induced nervous breakdowns.
- Don’t stick to your own friends (if you have any in the same company), mix around because that’s how you get to know the people AND the workplace better.
- Be humble. Even if you *already* know the topic by heart, learn to listen to what others have to say. Kill the smart alec in you.
- Be productive. If no work is given to you, find something to do..like go through the company’s projects and case studies.
- Be honest. Don’t lie about what you don’t really know but don’t shy away if contribution is needed.
Probably more to come when my internship ends in August !I think it is always good for interns to blog about their internships (of course, names are optional.)
How’s my internship so far, you ask?
One word to describe it (just like how I’d describe myself all the time) : Awesome !
Fellow interns, how are you experiences so far ? =)